Thursday, October 02, 2003

How One Actually Forgets What One Has Written Previously

I really don't understand. Really. I don't. Two of my computers - those intended for video editing are not starting up: The Power Mac G4, mind you ... the one I loaded up with 6 x 120HD's and maxed the RAM MEM is not booting at all. I turn on the power and the apple logo shows with this circle below that just keeps on going in circles. The other one that runs on Windows 2000 just keeps saying "Windows is starting ..." BUT IT IS NOT!!! It actually started the first night I got back but I updated to Service Pack 4 then hit cancel. What I don't understand is I unplugged all the power to make sure that nobody touches these computers and mess ém up while I'm gone. Nobody - I am sure touched these two computers so why aren't they starting up? When I got back from my winter sojourn, all I did was beef up all the computers in the house. I wanted to log all the videos, all the music in my audio library and yes, organize and update ALL my files. For one, I wanted to work on my raw footages and do some editing for submission to the Vancouver Film Fest or ... whatever ... like maybe when there's some sort of contest going on ... like the last time - National Geographic or something ... At least, I'm ready and I would have something decent to submit. When I left this spring, all the computers were set up and working. Too bad, I never had the chance to work on them. After a week, two of them were already malfunctioning in terms of the wireless network connection. But what I really don't understand is how a computer would just not function when nobody even used it ... or uses it? Or why, why does it have to be the the beefed-up ones that act up? I have the dinky dinosaur IBM 200MHZ - MMX, mind you that I have not touched since Y2K was the buzz word and it's still working! Hmmm ...

IS IT A SIGN?

BIG SIGH :(

And ... I was blogging ... and the power just went off and lost what I've already typed so far.

IS IT ANOTHER SIGN?

BIG BIG SIGH :(

It's amazing when you've written something ... how one actually forgets what one has written previously if it was lost - like because of power failure ... One can not really rewrite it exactly the way it was first written. Unless, of course, there is a hard copy available. Even if sometimes you've finished whatever - right ... like when you go over it and start editing ... It's never quite the same. It's like when you're taking a quiz or a test. You've answered everything and go back to the ones you've missed like when you're unsure of the answer. So you start guessing and then you go through everything and end up changing your mind. In the end, you end up with the wrong answer when in the first place, if you didn't change it - it would have been right and you get check marks for correct answers instead of "X" for wrong ones.

AAAARRGGGHHH!

Maybe ... just maybe, these are signs.

:(