Thursday, October 02, 2003

The Chinese Way Of Doing Business

I met up with my lessor today.

GOOD AND BAD.

Mom came with me. It's good for old people to be around when talking to old people. It's bad because even if you're past 40 and menopausal, in their eyes, you are but a child. Old people understand each other. They are from the same generation, more or less. They speak the same language. They share the same values and traditions, more or less.

MORE OR LESS.

"You're like family," my lessor says. LIKE family. "We don't need a contract," he adds. "Families don't have contracts. You are like my daughter. We've been doing business for over twenty years now."

And the old folks chitter-chatter. Babbles about their kids, their worries, the hard times. They talk about health. They reminisce and talk about the good ol' days. And they never talk about what we actually set out to talk about in the first place. And everytime I opened my mouth, it was the same time both started on their chitter-chatter about the good ol' days.

THE GOOD OLD DAYS.

I'm getting old. When my mother and I got out of the meeting, we had our blood pressure checked. Mine was up. But hey, I'm still a child. If I'm getting old, my mother is older.