Saturday, May 22, 2004

The World Passing By Through My Eyes

There's a reason why I shifted from using removable drives.

I started using them when they were still Bernoullis and Syquests from a mere 20 MB media connected on parallel and scsi ports. And of course, from 20 MB, the Bernoullis came up with 44 MB. Hard drives then were like really small. Nowadays, you can gave GIGAS as in 200 GB drives as externals. There are different types of cartridges now from memory cards, multimedia cards for cellular phones to digital cameras. And of course, there's the CD-Roms and DVD's, rewritables and a lot of formats to choose from. Speaking of multimedia, I remember immersing myself with the technology when they were just trying to get everything to work together. Transferring analog video formats to digital. It's a concept. And the technology has really developed except the prices escalated and with new development every three months or so, everything turns into junk in a year.

I am back with my zip drive except the capacity is up to 250 MB with a USB port that plugs and plays on a MAC and/or a PC. And as I have mentioned earlier, there's a reason why I shifted from using removable drives or should I say, why I stopped and abandoned using them. The dang thing is giving me headaches with the I/O error messages. And it is still so slow even if the speed has now gone up to GHz and crap. It's always faster to work off your drive C.

I know there's a better way like networking for transferring and sharing files. It used to be through the com ports either by serial or parallel and one needs a software like the Laplink. Now, its the ethernet cable or something and eaisier with a GDI. However, an old goat like me have been left behind and somehow, amidst all these changes ... it's not as easy as it was before in following the not-so-user-friendly instructions. Duh ...

Age is creeping in so slowly. I don't belong to the generation that throws remote controls on TV sets nor can't even record TV programs on a VCR. I can still send and receive text messages on my cel phone. But for the life of me, I'm having a difficult time catching up with the world nowadays. I can't even finish my websites.

All I want to do sometime is just sit back, relax and enjoy the world around me as it passes by.

No comments: