Sunday, August 24, 2003

Awww... Awesome Aurora ...

Aurora Borealis.

I never thought I would see one. I've always thought it'll always just be a pigment of my imagination or just a picture, a shot taken and preserved by someone else. The first Aurora Borealis I saw, was unfortunately not that spectacular. I wasn't what one would describe awed as in "Awesome" ...
For one, I was uncertain whether it was an Aurora Borealis or my eyes were just fooling me. I used to have 20-20 vision. At past 40, everything starts to go downhill including eyesight. Most of the time, I see flashes of light within my peripheral vision. When I try to read, it does appear blurry when it's too near that I have to put whatever I am reading farther away. Intimate too is nothing but a blur now like being close with someone is comparable to looking at a foggy window. So much so for looking through windows to one's soul. And so as I stared at the sky while waiting for the dogs to do their business before we all retire, I saw the not-so-full-moon up above. It was somewhat yellowish... at its left were the tints and shades of green and so my eyes followed the direction of the hue. There there was ... it seemed like the trees were glowing. My eyes I figured were playing tricks. I switched off the lights in the patio and looked at the sky again. Nope, it wasn't the reflection. The sky is still green, different shades and there were like upward rays from certain points from the trees. Could it be an Aurora Borealis?, I asked myself. I remember my significant other mentioning that the sky is green and not pink like what I previously saw at dusk. I watched it fade and when the dogs were done doing their biz, I tucked little Toffee and brought Zoom back upstairs. I told Rem and of course, she asked why I did not call her. Well, it's the same reason why I didn't blog about it right away. I wasn't sure.

Rem checked www.spaceweather.com and confirmed that indeed, it was an Aurora Borealis I saw that night. When exactly, I forgot. Tsk.

Oh... here's something I don't want to forget. I drove my mother to the T&T Supermarket. On our way home as I was turning at 162a or is 162b Street? to 111th Avenue, I saw 2 grey birds flying kinda low and a white cat crossing the street. I slowed down making way for the cat to finish crossing the street. One of the small grey birds dove and pecked the cat's head. Of course, my mother was babbling away and I just broke out in hysteria. That was really funny. I wished I had a video cam. What my mother was nattering about, I really have no idea ... past forty too, one's hearing kinda goes and for the most part, one also gets more selective ... it takes practice and with much practice, skill is perfected.