Friday, September 30, 2005

Taning

"Taning"

Translated in the english language, it's length of time. It's like when you have cancer and you only have this much length of time left like let's say ... the doctor says you only have six months to live or three or mayber one year. That's what it means.

So, let us pause for a moment and given that situation, you have one year to live. What would you do? It's different when you have let's say 2 or 3 years to live right? It's also different when you test positive for AIDS. You know you'll die and it takes longer for some while for others, it can be in three months time. You know you're dying. So, what would you do?

I remember, I got really scared out of my wits finding out that the possibility to have had contracted AIDS. OMG!!! It was devastating to find out that my life will end sooner than I expected and with no definite length of time. Of course, the shame of dying from AIDS. In a culture like ours in the third world and Catholic at that, there's a lot of taboo. To top it all up, I stopped being promiscuous for such a long time, I was even celibate and suddenly ... I was faced with this situation!!! That did not make me think though ... of what I would do during the remaining days of my life. All I could think about then was how to explain to my mother how I got AIDS and if ever I died because of it, the shame I would bring to my mother during the wake when people who would come to sympathize would just be murmuring ... talking ... hush, hush ... Thank God, I don't have AIDS and need not worry about the shame. However, I still don't like the idea of people coming to the wake supposedly to sympathesize and show compassion for the ones left behind but instead murmuring ... talking ... whispering ... chatting ...
how I was or how they remember me. Of course, my spirit would be there and I would hear what everybody's saying and because I'm dead, I won't be able to but in and tell them whether they're correct in saying that I am this or not ...

I never thought my blog would come to be this ... When I first signed up, I just thought it was a cool idea. I wasn't even sure of what to blog about that I made sure I wrote something significant as like what it's like living in a third world country. Then came my toenails ... well, I am sure that I'm not the only one with in-grown toenails or ugly toenails. I've been blogging for a couple of years now, I wish I blogged more. I guess I have been blogging since time immemorial ... writing down my thoughts. I came across a journal I kept safely hidden the other day. It brings back memories that I have forgotten already, tucked away in the inner recesses of my mind. Of course, I felt intensely about whatever I wrote then but through the course of time, indeed, I have changed. Changed a lot.

When I die, I want this blog of mine published. I already found a publisher. Probably just a hundred copies would be enough and each of my closest friends should be given a copy. The extra copies should be given to those who would come to the wake for them to read while they're supposedly showing their respects. This way, nobody chitter-chatters. Nobody gets presumptuous. It's such a coincidence that I inserted "Care To know A Little Bit About Me" ... I never thought of this turning out to be this ...

I am still deciding whether I really want to be cremated. I've said to my nephew and my significant other that I do. I want my ashes spread out in different urns, in different houses and some set free in the ocean. My mother would definitely not want me cremated. She'd rather have me buried in the mausoleum. If I go first, then I would probably be beside my Dad. It is a toss up, to be side by side with my dad or in the ocean. Better yet, my mother can have the wake services since I know it's very important for her. I want my ashes everywhere, an urn beside my Dad then.

If I have five years to live, I would sell most of my properties and buy a beachfront. I would spend the remaining days there, simply ... enjoying the beauty around me ... the wind, the blue skies ... the water and yes, I would still have dogs. I want my significant other to be by my side of course. And yes, my mother ... but she has to learn to enjoy the quiet. If I have less than five years to live, I'd still do the same thing. I would like to travel and see Australia, Africa, New Zealand ... If I can, I would like to dive the Great Barrier Reef, Maldives ... the well-known dive sites, including the Red Sea. I don't like the touristy-tour kinda thing and definitely not Hong Kong Disneyland, ok?

Now if I only have a year to live, then that's time to short. More so if it's just months that's left. Taning.

We all die. We can all die anytime. Like my Dad, who just went one day. Just like Cymbals that just killed over from a heart attack. Is it better to know exactly or maybe more or less, to know when you're going to go or not?

I'm dying. I don't know when. We will all die eventually.

No comments: