Saturday, September 14, 2002

One Wonders

What exactly is important, I wonder. I heard from my mother that someone we know made it to the newspapers, involved in the Piatco anomaly. In a span of just a year or so, he was able to build a house and buy the lot beisde it and presently owns 5 cars-the latest one would be BMW 750 series or so. Of course, this is according to my mother. I never really read the newspaper. It's just that my mother who thrives on stories like this have told me this over and over for the past year. She even suspected that the guy was involved in drug-trafficking. I really didn't care except but notice how fast he has climb up the ladder of acquiring material things. When you look at him, there's no shred of hard work involved. No lines, no eyebags just a fat belly. He gained a certain amount of weight that I take goes with the good life of having lots of cash on hand. My mother on the other hand, I suppose who mean well, still can't help be in awe to the extent of all the material wealth that surrounds this young family. She had it the hard way from peddling vegetables to textile retail onwards to importation and finally textile manufacturing. Her stories taught me a lot but her nagging more so put me on the right track. However, it's more of my insatiable desire to gain her approval that got me to where I am today. It is her insatiable desire for the good life that is wearing me down.

Don't take me wrong, she is simple in her own way. What is wearing me down is her insatiable desire for the good life for everybody around her, those who prey on her kind heart. She's naive. She's very forgiving. It is just not in my nature to be just like her. I can't seem to make myself be as forgiving as she is, as helpful as she is and as naive as she is. And I can't keep up with her standards and I am totally burnt out forever trying to follow her footsteps. Sometimes, I get the feeling that the reason why she wants me financially secured is so that I can help everyone around me in the manner that she does everybody who come seeking her assistance.

And so I ask, what EXACTLY IS important?