Tuesday, September 17, 2002

My In-Grown Toe Nails

How many of you have in-grown toenails? Well, I'm one of the unfortunate ones who whine in pain. I had my whole toenail pulled out once from an infection. I'm one of those who have this need to go to the beauty parlor regularly for a manicure and a pedicure. Of course, the manicurist butchered my in-grown toe nail and by the next day, my toe was throbbingly swollen like a tomato. I called a doctor friend and she gladly pulled out my toe nail. I swear everybody at the time heard my scream from the end of our house up front to the driveway. That of course, was to my doctor friend's delight; she is on the sadistically morbid side.

According to my ... hmmm, how shall I address her? Well, according to my lived-in partner... the reason why I have in-grown toenails is because I get pedicures regulary. And of course, my mother agrees with her to my dismay or is it the other way around. Well, it's too late now, okay? I have been getting regular manicure and pedicure since I was 12 years old so I just have to live with them. Whatever their opinion is or everybody else who share the same views, I really don't much care anyways. If my in-grown toenails did not come naturally as in the genes, how come my grandmother has the same toenails as I do then? Inang (that's what I call my grandma-and btw, she's dead so tha't leaves me the only one with this kind of toenails) never had a pedicure all her life. Our toenails are by far the ugliest I've seen. They shoot up and I mean up and they all look dead as in dark and what's even weird is that damn toenails are really small çept for the ones on the big toe. It used to bother me a lot that I don't really particularly let anybody see my feet. That was of course when I was younger and much in vain. Now, like I said, I don't much care anymore.

When one reaches a certain age, I suppose ... vanity lessens directly proportional to how content and how at peace you are with yourself. The only reason why I go to the beauty parlor now is because of the pain. Hmmm... maybe, I should have the laser treatment for my in-grown toenails.